Saturday, March 21, 2009

Foster Cemetery

Here's a little slideshow of a hike I took out to Foster Cemetery. The Fosters were the founding family of River Falls. The oldest grave is for Eli Foster who was born in 1796 and died in 1856. A little more about the cemetery here. Mom says she remembers a cemetery clean-up day held yearly by Trinity Episcopal (which no longer exists). The cemetery, otherwise abandoned, is now an historical site. It sits on top of a hill overlooking Lake Louise and the lower dam with great views of the Kinnickinnic valley. A beautiful resting place.

For those familiar with the territory, here is a map:


View Larger Map




The prime view reminded me of this photo of Chris and I sitting on the Sioux burial mounds overlooking the St. Croix in Hudson in 1966. (There is now a sign asking that one respect the dead and not climb/sit on the mounds). I wonder if the Fosters aren't the only ones buried overlooking the Kinnick.

1 comment:

Hal Watson said...

Nice photos of Foster Cemetery. I ran across your post and thought you might take in interest in my photo journal/blog which is mostly centered around River Falls.

My latest entry is a photo from the Foster Cemetery, enjoy:

http://web.me.com/hal.watson/HalPhotoJournal/Blog/Entries/2010/3/27_Foster_Cemetary.html